Pages

May 16, 2012

Stuka or Henschel?

I've been pondering over the con's and pro's of Ju-87 and Hs-129. I wanted to find out which was the better plane between these two. The planes that I took into consideration were Ju-87 D-3 and Hs-129 B-2. Here's what I found out, using IL-2 Compare:

Ju-87 D-3 - better rate of climb under 4000 m, better speed at 4000 m, better turn time.


Hs-129 B-2 - better speed, except at 4000, better rate of climb above 4000 m, better rate of climb at true air speed.


Apart from these features, it's pretty hard to compare a two-engine plane with a single-engine one, radial engines with inline engines, the French engine industry with the German one, etc.
I think it's rather a matter of choice and taste. Which was not the case in WW2, but Stuka and Henschel pilots worked well together on the Eastern Front.
For me, nothing compares with Ju-87's 90-degree dive...

No comments:

Post a Comment