Pages

May 31, 2012

Shot down in style...

These days, I was in the mood again for some action on HyperLobby. I chose to fly on the Kampferband server, and, in spite of the fact that almost everybody speaks German on their TS3 channel, I enjoyed a warm welcome from Dave, who patiently briefed me about their server.
Yesterday, in the afternoon, I flew a mission at Guadalcanal, in a P-40, and, for almost 20 minutes, I have been looking for my single enemy, III/JG27_Schnel. Suddenly, I'm hit by a burst coming from my six and I start recording my fight.
But it's too late. Another burst destroys my engine and my propeller stops spinning. I see my enemy, in a Zero, at my 7 o'clock, and I'm waiting for his fatal blow, while I lower my flaps and look for a landing strip, by the seashore, since all the island is covered by jungle.
My enemy comes near me in great style, salutes and flies away. I'm moved by this sign of gallantry, which reminds me of Adolf Galland. (I wouldn't be surprised if I'd find out that Galland's name, of French origin, would have been a variant of the 'gallant' word...) I manage to crash land my plane (not recorded), and Schnel only gets less points for 'damaging' my crate, instead of 100 points for a kill...

4 comments:

  1. Hello there, There's no doubt that your site might be having browser compatibility problems. When I look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues. I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, fantastic website!
    my website - mailRecovery in exchange server

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch for your heads-up! I use Google Chrome myself and never had issues of any kind. As I gather from my blog's statistics, 90% of my visitors use Chrome, and I just know how to use the Blogspot editor.
    And thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awsome! i'm rather thrilled to find out that the sense of chivalry didn't dissapear. anyway, the zero was far better than the P40 so you started the fight with fewer chances than schnel...

      Delete
  3. I was flying a P-40E, which is faster than the A6M2. But the Zero climbs and turns better. But the problem with the Kampferband is that the difficulty settings are rather high, and you can figure out who's friendly or not only below 400m... In other words, you can't see the writing attached to an enemy plane, so it's just a boggie for you. Who sees his enemy first has almost won the battle... So, in my situation, a better plane wouldn't have made the difference.

    ReplyDelete