Pages

February 26, 2012

2012 Top Gun (2)

This is the first fight in the 2012 Top Gun at JO, and, since we were 14 competitors, this first clash is a 7vs.7. As I mentioned in the previous post, I felt a little bit disappointed that I chose Fw-190 A-8 and not a La-7, as most of the competitors did, and this choice undermined in a certain degree my self-confidence, which proved to be disastrous... In some way, I was feeling like Kikuchiyo, in Seven Samurai...
I spawned in first and shorlty I found out that I was flying lower and slower than most of my teammates. As we tallied bandits, Mr. Eshark warned me that I was flying too far from the main body of your team, and I tried to alter my heading, but it was too late. The fight had begun and the first planes got shot down, some of them most probably at the first head-on pass. I couldn't make up my mind which enemy plane to attack, since I didn't have enough energy to do a boom-and-zoom and I didn't have an ideal position to try something else, either.
When I finally identified a possible target and started maneuvering towards it, I saw tracers above my plane, but one of my mates immediately cleared my six.
After cooling my head from this first threat, I identify another possible victim and start maneuvering again. More tracers fly by and some of them hit my plane. It's Mr. Vintage! I enter a steep dive and try to shake him, but I almost G-locked and crashed into the sea. And I know my opponent is also having a hard time with the G's, but I was too juicy for him to let go. More hits on my plane, I see holes in the plexiglas and shattered gauges in my cockpit. I scissor a little bit but my left wing has holes in it, and I stall and crash, just when my opponent seems to try to go away and gain some altitude...
Luckily, my team wins by surviving planes number superiority, since everybody left alive was out of ammo.


No comments:

Post a Comment