Pages

October 6, 2011

Liviu’s got new rudder pedals!

Yesterday, my friend Liviu, bought himself a pair of Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals. Nothing extraordinary, but this event came quite like a shock to him, partly because his joystick seemed not to function properly anymore. He tried putting up a quick dogfight with some AI fighters, but his plane kept stalling and the old glory vanished like it never existed.
I had mixed feelings, mainly because Liviu was the one that introduced me to IL-2 and generally to sim flying. I had a sense of guilt – for interrupting his old-time career as a sim ace, and a touch of sinful joy – for pushing him into the realistic and cruel world of sophisticated-gadget piloting, where you transform your desk into a battle station, full of wires and buttons, and where you fight with the rest of your family for the right of having your private room or corner, even with the price of being considered a dangerous freak.
Sorry, Liviu, but I cannot help but laugh my brains out, thinking of you working them rudder pedals, trapped in this new wild sim reality, like a fallen angel trying to learn how to sin again… You might call it sim sinning!
Man, am I mean!
I remember the way you used to immerse into the game and how you forgot about the surrrounding world... But your brand new rudder pedals will remind you for the moment that you are not alone...


2 comments:

  1. Beta, actually, I am glad you said , and I quote: "Liviu was the one THAT introduced me to IL-2" because sometimes I 'm not human, but a killing machine. When I'll have finished my training period with pedals we'll see who's mean and who just meant to be mean. The old ace is about to kick some rudders. Soon !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Killing machine vs. computing machine, for now. Interresting match!

    ReplyDelete