Pages

May 8, 2011

Romanian Campaign goes forward: Stalingrad

After a very busy week, I decided to spend this Sunday relaxing with Il-2 and Windows Movie Maker.
I continue my Romanian Campaign in Stalingrad, it's already the end of September 1942, and I'm still flying my Bf-109 E-4 B.
To my surprise, the weather condition is extremely poor, clouds everywhere, lightnings striking from place to place. When I get above 500 m, the shakes seem to lose their force, and I'm happy my airplane is still in one piece. I try to stick to the flight leader, but I find it more and more difficult, and I barely see him through this white soup.
Stalingrad campaign is a lot more difficult than Kuban, the weather condition worsens as the winter approaches and my Emil already feels a little bit obsolete, but, luckily, the Soviets still use Rata's and Il-2's in great numbers.
At the leader's sign, we dive down below, blinded by the watery fog and badly shaken by the storm in the air. We attack a few Il-2's and, although my gunnery skills seem long gone, I manage to down one for my own tally, after escaping friendly fire coming from my starboard wing, slightly behind... The Il-2 rear gunner never fired a shot, maybe he was already dead or even missing, I didn't pay much attention to that particular version of Il-2.
Before returning to homebase, I set an I-16 ablaze, I feel the cold in my bones and I'd like to put my hand out of the cockpit, just to feel the warmth of that vivid fire.
The landing was supposed to be a disaster, I touch the runway at the wrong angle, pushed away by the strong crosswind, and I start dancing and jumping like a drunk widow, but, by a miracle, I manage to stay alive and my plane doesn't bear a scratch!
Later, I edit and trim my video with Windows Movie Maker and I lose that last part, with the landing, but the sight was not entertaining, so I don't consider it a loss. But I'm happy that I learned how to record the in-game audio track and how to make HD movies...


1 comment:

  1. stick with the war diary, leave the bloody editing process, you're a fucking good story teller, mate

    ReplyDelete