Pages

April 18, 2011

Mitsubishi J2M Raiden (Jack)

Yesterday evening, seminar at Joint-Ops Virtual Flight Schools: Mitsubishi J2M Raiden (雷電, "Thunderbolt"). The Allies called it 'Jack'. After a very dense 20 minute presentation, made by Mr Funflak, we jumped into a bunch of J2M5 cockpits and started testing this interesting airplane, built from the start as a bomber interceptor, with a very good climb rate.
Raiden has 3-stage supercharger, used as follows:
- up to 2000 m, 1st stage supercharger, fuel mixture 120%
- between 2000m and 5000 m, 2nd stage supercharger, fuel mixture 100%
- between 5000 m and 6500 m, 3rd stage supercharger, fuel mixture 80%
- above 6500 m, 3rd stage supercharger, fuel mixture 60%.
WEP could be activated manually and the engine doesn't overheat so easily.
First we fought against some P-51's, using our climbing rate as an advantage. I had the luck to down two of them... In the second mission, we had a tougher fight, against B-29's and P-51's. I shot at a B-29 many times, and eventually, one of his engines caught fire. I had to RTB, my fuel tank was full of holes and my engine had a very strange noise. I managed to find my homebase and land safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment